Saturday 7 May 2022

Successful Saturday

 A successful day for me involving the White Stork and agility!!     I headed towards Peterborough early this morning and my route took me along the A605 . Luckily I was able to pull off the road near Barnwell to check the small flooded meadow adjacent to the lock. The first bird I saw was the White Stork feeding ,pottering about and looking very much at home. I thought to myself that it didn't look out of place at all. I know that this bird has been giving folk run around,  myself included so I was delighted to finally catch up with it.                                                                                                             I  spent most of the day competing at an agility competition near Peterborough with my two young collies Jaeger and Rouzel.  They had both done fairly well but on his last run of the day Jaeger was awesome and a lovely clear round and second place,  beaten by 1 second by the winning dog.   So a successful time for me.                                                          On my way home I checked the fields around Hemington and Polebrook but all seemed quiet, my luck had run out!!

It would seem that all the action has been in the Nene Valley again with a couple of mobile Avocets being seen at Stanwick, Clifford Hill, Summer Leys and finally they appeared to have settled at Ditchford.                                    

Yesterday I walked around Sywell CP but it was very quiet. A few Common Terns are nesting on the Tern raft, a Cettis warbler was very vocal and several Sedge Warbler were very showy.   Harrington Airfield was extremely quiet,  in fact there were more birds in our garden than on the airfield.  I counted 6 Yellowhammers and 2 Reed Buntings plus young Song Thrush and Blackbirds in the garden. 

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: