Wednesday 25 May 2022

Blackbird apparently attempting to feed Great Tits

Whilst preparing lunch today my attention focused on the bird box in my garden hedge, there is a well-developed brood of Great Tits in it. I have been concerned about them as the local Jays have been showing a great deal of interest in them, so far to no avail. The arrival of a large bird had me reaching for my binoculars for a better view. To my surprise the intruder was a female Blackbird with a beak full of what appeared to be worms. She repeatedly pushed her head into the nest box, once whilst both parents were inside. This behaviour went on all afternoon without any sign of the nestlings taking any of the proffered food. The adult Great Tits showed no concern regarding the Blackbird’s behaviour and continued to feed the young as normal.

Blackbird with worms at nest box

The Great Tit parents



It’s fascinating to watch but impossible to divine what the Blackbird’s reasons are.

Has anybody else come across this sort of behaviour?

The video was all phonescoped from a bedroom window without disturbing the birds.

     Regards,

Neil H.

No comments: