Saturday 28 May 2022

A very quiet week

 It has been an extremely quiet week for birds in the county,  although this is only to be expected as the bulk of the spring migration is over and our birds are busy breeding. My best bird of the week was a male Common Redstart found on one of my numerous visits to Harrington Airfield in my quest for a particular species which I failed to find.                   Our garden has been full of young Starlings,  which are both entertaining and noisy.  I  don't think that we are popular with the neighbours as the Starlings arrive in the garden at first light and always wake me up. I certainly do not need an alarm clock but it would be nice to have a lie in !!       Whilst watching the antics of the young Starlings as they were running around from adult to adult begging for food I saw one being fed by a male Blackbird which was trying to find food for his own young. I suspect that the Blackbird either fed the Starling by mistake or just got fed up with it pestering it for food and he just rammed it in the open beak to keep it quiet. 

At this time of year many birders turn their attention to butterflies and there are plenty species around at the moment.  Brimstone, Peacock, Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Common Blue,  Orange Tip , Brown Argus and Small Copper have all been recorded this week.  One lucky person managed 5 species of Skipper, Small, dingy,grizzled, large and chequered at Westhay Wood which is part of the Fineshade complex.  There are guided walks each day to view the Chequered Skipper.  The walks leave the visitor centre at Fineshade 11am and this is the recommended way to view these rather smart butterflies. 

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: