Sunday 22 May 2022

Black-necked Grebes

Yesterday (Saturday) had me heading over to Pitsford to look for the Black-necked Grebes. They had been seen this morning having been discovered on Friday evening.

After scanning from the Old Scaldwell Road feed station area and spotting the birds performing in front of the James Fisher hide I headed off in their direction for a better view. As frequently happens I got distracted on the way, initially by the small white flowers of Pignut in amongst the buttercups and clover.


Pignut equals Chimney Sweeper moths and so I started hunting around for them. After a few minutes I spotted one and attempted to photograph it to no avail. Despite several moths being present not one landed. After about 20 mins of this I returned to my original quest and headed off to the JF hide.

Distraction 2 was a singing Whitethroat in one of the bankside trees. I decided to try and phonescope it to see if it was possible to catch the song at relatively long range. It seems the answer is yes, although it’s not the clearest recording.


Finally arriving at the JF hide I watched the Black-necked Grebes diving and resting just off the bund for some time. It’s hard to beat one of these stunning summer plumaged birds for ‘showiness’.

Neil H

No comments: