Tuesday 24 August 2021

 Today I started with an early morning visit to Harrington Airfield and as soon as I got out of the car I could hear lots of bird sound and the bushes lining the road were literally alive with finches.  A slow amble around the bunkers produced at least 3 Common Redstart, 2 Spotted Flycatchers,  Whinchat and Wheatear. There were good numbers of Goldfinches and Linnets in the bushes.   However there was a noticeable movement of birds flying over, visible migration.  The highlight being a  Tree Pipit which flew over calling.  Other flyovers included Grey Wagtail, Siskin , Swallows and Crossbills.                    This is Harrington at it's best and I love being there when this happens.  Sadly day's like this are infrequent and often I go there and struggle to find anything,  but that's birding!

A quick stop off at Blueberry Farm on my way home to say hello to the Common Redstarts which again were showing well and then no further opportunity for birding until late afternoon when I  walked my old dogs through the village and became aware of at least 10+ Spotted Flycatchers calling and flycatching in the trees lining the road . Then I had to walk the younger dogs so walked across to Lamport Hall where there were more Spotted Flycatchers feeding in their favourite hedge. Not quite as many in number today but still an amazing sight and sound. I assume that the birds in Hanging Houghton were part of the original flock.  

Plenty of birds in the garden at the moment especially Blue Tits, Long Tailed Tits and young Starlings.  We are getting big numbers of young Starlings feeding on the mealworm we put out. They are so noisy and entertaining to watch. They provided entertainment in a different way when several of them fell down the chimney and ended up stuck behind the gas fire. When I moved the fire they shot out like rockets and flew around the house in a haphazard manner much to the amusement of our young collie who thought that it was a great game.  Eventually all were safely captured and released. 

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: