Friday 20 August 2021

Flycatchers and Redstarts continue

 After a busy day yesterday where my birding was limited I decided to check the areas again for Flycatchers and Redstarts.   First stop was Blueberry Farm area early this morning and as I approached I could hear Common Redstart calling and sure enough the bright male was sitting in his favourite spot and was soon joined by the less bright male. The hedgerows were quite busy with Warblers,and other passerines.  I noted an increase in Blackbirds and Song Thrushes.  I took a leisurely wander home and came across a family party of Stonechat,  2 Wheatear and a Marsh Harrier. 

Later in the day on my way back from shopping I stopped off in the village of Old and took the footpath towards Pitsford Reservoir and in one of the hedgerows were at least 2 Common Redstart plus others calling. This is a  favourite hedgerow for them but viewing is difficult due to the amount of vegetation. 

A very slow meander with one of my old crocks (spaniel) produced 2 or 3 Common Redstart which can be elusive at times,  plus 2 Whinchat and a Wheatear.

Of course I  couldn't resist a quick look at  Lamport Hall whilst my tea was cooking  !! . Unbelievably 20+ Spotted Flycatchers were again in the hedge, calling and flycatching.  It really is quite an amazing sight and I have never known anything like it before.  Where they are during the daytime is a mystery unless they are further in the grounds of Lamport hall which is inaccessible. 

Although it may seem like it I don't have a monopoly on Redstarts, haha. Others have been seen at Clifford Hill and Stanford Reservoir.  Spotted Flycatchers have also been seen at Pitsford Reservoir and Dallington Cemetery. 

A ringing session took place this morning at Woodford Halse ( Helen Franklin) where 132 birds were processed of 16 species including Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler,  Marsh Tit and Swallow.  A staggering 64 Blue Tits were caught which shows just how successful they have been. 

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: