Thursday 19 August 2021

Flycatchers and Redstarts !!

 We are rapidly heading towards my favourite time of year Autumn. Already to the dismay of many who are wondering what has happened to Summer the weather has that chill about it, the mornings are darker with the mist hanging over the fields and certainly the evenings are drawing in. The hedgerows are becoming laden with berries and the farmers busy getting the harvest in.

Birding seems to have gone quiet as we wait for the Autumn migration.  Most of my birding has been done whilst walking the dogs. Bizarrely the most numerous birds I have seen are Spotted Flycatchers and Common Redstarts !!.  For the past week there has been an amazing sight of 20+ Spotted Flycatchers gathering together calling and flycatching  in a hedgerow in the grounds of Lamport Hall.  These birds are easily viewed from the footpath from the A508. I had suspected that this only happens during the late afternoon as when I have checked the area in the morning the hedgerow has been eerily quiet. This certainly seems to be the case so I have no idea where these birds are during the rest of the day.  I have never seen so many Spotted Flycatchers together in Northamptonshire. 

I seem to be bumping into plenty of Common Redstarts in my travels. There are at least 3 birds at Harrington Airfield although they can be quite elusive at times.  Often they are calling incessantly and I only catch a glimpse of them and at other times they show well.  There have been a few birds seen regularly at Blueberry Farm area including 2 very bright males.  I have also seen Redstarts at Lamport Hall and from the footpath from Old towards Pitsford Reservoir. 

Other birds that I have been bumping into include a juvenile Marsh Harrier,  Ravens,  Grey Partridge,  Whinchats and Northern Wheatear. 

I haven't been near any water for my birding fix but others have.  There has been a Yellow Legged Gull and Marsh Harrier at Thrapston,  Red Crested Pochards at Stanford and Pitsford, Cattle Egret at Stanwick and a few waders, Common and Green Sandpipers,  Ruff and Black Tailed Godwit appearing.   So things are starting to move around. 

Plenty of butterflies around despite the wind.  I  have noticed an increase in Painted Ladies including a couple in the garden so I wasn't surprised to find a Clouded Yellow at Harrington Airfield. 

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: