Tuesday 31 August 2021

Catch-up

 I have been out of county for a  few days and as well as spending today catching up with the mundane tasks of shopping etc, I  have also been trying to catch up with the birds. It certainly looks like there have been plenty of birds around. 

On the morning I left (26th August) I took the dogs out for an early morning walk and flushed a Short Eared Owl as I walked along a hedgerow.  I don't know who was more surprised,  me or it!!.  As far as I'm aware it wasn't relocated.

Despite being out of county I managed a reasonable birding list including Common Redstart, Crossbill, Cettis Warbler  and Barn Owl,  but  I  was wishing that I was at home especially on the day that the Stanford Reservoir ringers caught and ringed a Wryneck and numerous Common Redstarts as there must have been other good birds waiting to be found.                                                                                                                                                    During my absence there were plenty of Common Redstarts at numerous sites including Harrington Airfield, Honey Hill, Braunston, Blueberry and Hardingstone. Whinchats were seen at Borough Hill, Braunston, Hinton Airfield and Welford Reservoir.  Marsh Harrier was recorded at Hollowell and Earls Barton.   All typical Autumn birds.  Plenty of waders moving around including Ringed and Little Ringed Plover,Ruff, Black Tailed Godwit, Dunlin,  Green and Common Sandpiper.  Other good birds which made an appearance were Sandwich Terns and a Little Gull in the Nene Valley and Common Scotors at Hollowell Reservoir. 

Today I wandered around Blueberry early morning and was greeted by the familiar sound and sight of Common Redstart.  Then to Harrington Airfield which was disappointingly quiet and all I could find was a single Common Redstart,  Wheatear and 4 Golden Plovers flying over. I  decided to check Lamport Hall this afternoon but the hedgerows were quiet.  It would seem that the "Flycatcher frenzy "is over.  Only 2 Spotted Flycatchers and a Common Redstart were in the hedge.   I  did find another Common Redstart nearby whilst I was playing football with the collies!!

Plenty of good birds around today including Tree Pipit at Borough Hill,  Garganey at Daventry Reservoir, Little Stint at Dirft3, Spotted Redshank and Mediterranean Gull at Boddington Reservoir.  So it does look as if things are hotting on the birding front but I'm sure that we would like the weather to follow suit. 

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: