Saturday 25 May 2024

Wood Warbler

Sadly the Red Necked Phalarope was a "one day" wonder and it has been a bit like pulling teeth over the last few days where birding is concerned.  Just a handful of reports, Osprey at Welford, Cattle Egret at Summer Leys,  Red Crested Pochard at Earls Barton GP,  Garganey at Lilbourne Meadows and Egyptian Geese at Clifford Hill GP and Deenethorpe.                                                                                      I  suppose that we really shouldn't be too surprised at this . The bulk of the spring passage has happened and the birds are busy with their breeding duties. 

However a new bird was found today,  a male Wood Warbler at Harry's Park Wood which is an interesting piece of woodland between Corby and Oundle.  It's somewhere that I haven't been to for years and I  suspect not an area frequented by birders.    Interestingly at the time I was checking the area around Lamport Hall looking for this very same species, but all I could find was a Spotted Flycatcher and 2 Hobby.  Earlier I had been out running and came across a Sedge Warbler and Cuckoo near Drummer boy lake, Brixworth. 

As it was a lovely still evening I went to Harrington Airfield to listen and look for a specific bird. To my surprise I literally stumbled across a Short Eared Owl. I certainly wasn't expecting this as I have visited numerous times recently and have not seen anything of note. I'm not sure whether it is the original bird or a new one passing through.  It's plumage was pristine whereas the original bird had several missing feathers.       As I sat and watched the Owl a Grasshopper Warbler started reeling,  the first that I have seen/heard this year.    But no sign of the bird that I was hoping for.     I  did notice a couple of "white Common Buzzards " and wondered if they were the same ones which have been feeding and loafing around on the fields below Hanging Houghton/Cottesbrooke/Blueberry area.    Yesterday evening there were at least 40 birds on the fields and again a pretty even split between Red Kites and Common Buzzards.   As I approached the area where these birds were gathered I watched in amazement as a Common Buzzard caught a female Pheasant and struggled to fly off with her. I  have never witnessed this before. 

Other things that I have noticed whilst out and about are good numbers of Orange Tip Butterflies and Brimstones. Other species I have encountered are Red Admiral,  Peacock,  Painted Lady and Small Heath.   The Bee Orchids and Common Spotted Orchids are appearing at Harrington Airfield.  In the garden there has been a Rook visiting every day. A species that we rarely see in the garden but he seems very comfortable searching for food amongst the numerous Jackdaws.

Kenny Cramer and his team held a ringing session at Linford Reserve,  Milton Keynes today and notched up 53 birds of 18 species and 34 newly ringed birds.    Birds processed included 8 Reed Warblers, 4 Whitethroat, 3 Blackcaps, 3 Chiffchaffs including first fledgling of the year and singles of Garden and Cettis Warbler.   Bluetit and Treecreeper fledgling were also ringed and another new Cuckoo, a handsome male.                                                      Other birds on the reserve included an additional male and female Cuckoo,  30 Swifts and a Raven.    Non avian species comprised of 3 Grass Snakes, Peacock,  Red Admiral and Speckled Wood Butterflies, Banded Demoiselle and Hairy Dragonfly. 

It is hard to believe that as I sat at Harrington Airfield this evening that the weather prediction for the next two days is more heavy rain. I just hope that they are wrong or else it will be a very soggy bank holiday with everything keeping it's head down. 

Regards Eleanor 


Juvenile Blue Tit.

Cetti's Warbler.

Male Cuckoo.

Juvenile Treecreeper.

Adult Common Whitethroat.

All images courtesy of
Kenny Cramer.


No comments: