Tuesday 27 December 2022

Super Summer Leys

 Summer Leys was the place to be today. It began with a male Hen Harrier passing through.  This bird had originally been spotted by Martin Swanell sitting in a roadside tree between Mears Ashby and Earls Barton.  All I ever seem to find in roadside trees are Common Buzzards, not that I'm complaining as they always look so majestic whilst on look out duty.                                                                                                                                          A couple of hours later and a report of the Yellow Browed Warbler showing again at Mary's Lake. This bird has been around for a couple of weeks but has been elusive. Today it was showing well.  Then it was reported that 2 Yellow Browed Warblers were present. As is often the case when birders gather at a bird other birds are located and sure enough a juvenile Great Northern Diver was picked up on Mary's Lake.                                                I must admit that it was a bit of an effort for me to drive over to Summer Leys as I was recovering from a migraine,  but I'm so glad that I went.  A Yellow Browed Warbler was on show when I arrived.  It was simply stunning and extremely close. Infact I didn't really need my binoculars as at times it was too close.  The bird was constantly feeding and climbing about on the outside of bushes or vegetation.  There will be some amazing pictures of this bird circulating. As I watched it seemed to make some short circuits and then end up back infront of me.  At times it was joined by a Goldcrest and also a Chiffchaff. Two birds had been reported earlier but I only ever saw one Yellow Browed.  I did hear a Yellow Browed Warbler calling a short distance from where I was standing but have no way of knowing whether it was a second bird or the bird that I had been watching. 

Earlier today I visited Harrington Airfield. Whilst scanning the fields opposite the main entrance for Golden Plovers (20 birds) the Ring Tail Hen Harrier made an appearance and headed off towards Draughton Village. Harrington was otherwise quiet.                          Yesterday a visit to Pitsford Reservoir only yielded a pair of Stonechat in the Scaldwell bay and the previous day (Christmas day) I had a large female Peregrine successfully hunting the Fieldfares below Hanging Houghton .

A few birds reported around the county. A Redhead Smew on town lake Thrapston,  2 ad Caspian Gulls and 5 Goosander at Hollowell Reservoir,  Pink Footed Goose, drake Mandarin and Chiffchaff at Ravensthorpe Reservoir and Red Crested Pochard at Hardingstone Lake and Stanford Reservoir.  

Regards Eleanor 



Yellow-browed Warbler at
Mary's Lake, Earls Barton Pits,
images courtesy of Dave Jackson.


No comments: