Friday 30 December 2022

Stunning Yellow Browed Warblers

 I had to pop over to Wellingborough this morning and on my way home made a detour to Mary's Lake at Summer Leys for another look at the Yellow Browed Warbler(s). When I got there I was very surprised to find that there were no other birders, mind you the weather wasn't very inviting as dull and raining.  After standing around for 40 minutes getting rather wet I was beginning to think that I had made a huge mistake.  Then just as I was about to go I heard a Yellow Browed calling incessantly from the hedgerow.  I soon located a movement but the light was awful as I looked through my binoculars into the gloom. Thankfully the bird came out and onto the outside of the hedge before dropping down into the brambles infront of me before disappearing back into the hedge. It did this twice which was very frustrating.  However I decided that as I was already wet then I might just as well stay a bit longer.  The weather did actually break and brighten up a bit and it wasn't long before a Yellow Browed appeared in the hedge again and dropped into the brambles, but this time it showed extremely well and was joined briefly by another Yellow Browed Warbler!!  This is quite unprecedented and amazing to see. The second bird soon disappeared into the hedge leaving the original bird to feed and flit about in close open view.  I have seen numerous Yellow Browed Warblers whilst holidaying on the Isles of Scilly but the views I have had of this bird have far surpassed any of those encounters.  I know that there are a lot of very happy birders and photographers  out there at the moment thanks to these stunning birds. But I think that we all owe a huge thanks to the original finder of the bird who I believe is Adrian Borley. 

After dragging myself away from Summer Leys I took my young collies for a brisk walk around Sywell CP where I managed 2 Cettis Warbler,  4 Stonechat, Water Rail,  2 Grey Wagtail,  6 Lesser Redpolls approx 20 Siskins.        As it was on my way home I made stop at Pitsford Reservoir.  It seemed very quiet.  Just a Redshank,  Green Sandpiper and pr Stonechat in the Scaldwell bay.  My final outing of the day was Blueberry area where there was a Barn Owl and 2 Little Owls. 

Unfortunately the weather looks quite wet for the weekend but don't let that put you off from visiting Summer Leys and catching up with these fabulous stunning Warblers.  It will be worth getting wet for and I know that you will not be disappointed.  I suspect that Sunday may be quite busy as the "year listers" will be out in force attempting to get these Warblers on their birding list on the first day of the New Year. 

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: