Saturday 24 December 2022

Christmas Greetings

 I actually managed quite a bit of birding today as I had only left myself a few last minute errands to fit in.  I  was up early as usual and raring to get out as soon as it was dawn. As I set off along the Brampton Valley Way it was still dark and I hoped that I literally didn't bump into anyone!! As I stopped at the stream I disturbed a Grey Heron and I don't know who jumped the most, the Heron, me or my young collie who has a very vivid imagination.  It was quite funny. After the obligatory game with the collies in the stream I headed towards Blueberry.  After the rain of yesterday it was a beautiful morning and whilst standing around taking in the atmosphere I picked up a raptor heading towards me. It was the Ring Tail Hen Harrier again.  This bird has been around for a good few weeks but I still have absolutely no idea where it spends most of it's time. I walk this area daily but only randomly bump into this bird. I can only imagine that it hunts over a vast area.

After breakfast I went to Pitsford Reservoir.  I stopped off at the dam and picked up a couple of drake Red Crested Pochards.  A couple of weeks ago when we completed the Webs count there were hardly any birds on the big side and I remember only a handful of Coot. Well today there were over 200 Coot easily visible plus good numbers of Tufted Ducks and Great Crested Grebes. I know that this is not very remarkable but there has obviously been a bit of a movement of these birds.  I did wonder if they had simply come from the small side but judging from the amount of birds still present on the small side I think unlikely.    The 2 drake Smew were still in the Holcot Bay and Redshank,  Green Sandpiper, several Pintail and 6 Great White Egrets also on the small side.                              A very quiet visit to Harrington Airfield to feed the birds only produced 2 Grey Partridge and 70 Golden Plovers.                                                                                                                           It has been a very quiet day in the county and I suspect that bird news may be quiet for the next few days as other things take presedence. 

We would just like to wish everyone a Very HAPPY CHRISTMAS and we hope that you have a lovely day however you are spending it.

Regards Eleanor 


Robin.


No comments: