Friday 28 May 2021

Purple Heron and Quail

 The last couple of days have been dominated by a Quail calling and seen occasionally between Hanging Houghton and Cottesbrooke and a Purple Heron at Summer Leys. The Purple Heron was found and photographed by some of the regular photographers at Summer Leys, an amazing find and some stunning pictures posted on the Summer Leys facebook page. Despite extensive searching it was only seen again briefly yesterday but I understand that it has been seen on and off all day today. Obviously this bird is a major attraction for both birders and photographers alike and as such the hides have been rather busy.  This is the 20th record of this species in the county with the last 3 being in 2011.  I  cannot believe that it has been this long since I saw one in the county and I hope that this bird stays a bit longer to give me chance of catching up with it. 

Hopefully these birds will fuel everyone's enthusiasm to get out and about over the weekend to enjoy the birds and wildlife around us. Plus the weather is looking good  !

Regards Eleanor 



Purple Heron at Summer Leys LNR
courtesy of Magda Toruj.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think I may have seen the Purple Heron at at The Blue Lagoon in Milton Keynes today (Friday 4th June 2012)