Wednesday 19 May 2021

New Birds at last !!

Things remain quiet on the birding front with very little bird news reported.  However there have been a couple of "new" sightings, neither of which I have caught up with.  At DIRFT 3 a second summer Baltic Gull has been present for a few days. The bird has been ringed and the details reveal that it was rung at Horsvaer Nordland, Norway 2019.  The other new bird is also a visitor and a scarce one in the county, a Hoopoe, which was found in Croyland Park in Wellingborough.   You just never know where or what might turn up.

Our resident birds are busy simply getting on with breeding and raising their young.  Our garden is full of noisy young starlings which are very comical to watch. They absolutely love mealworms and I'm constantly topping up the feeders.  As I sat having my breakfast this morning there was an almighty commotion in the garden followed by several loud bangs on the patio windows and a flurry of birds coming into the house via the open back door. !!!  A Sparrowhawk had helped himself to a Starling and I could hear the awful death throes of the bird coming from our neighbours garden. There was nothing I could do as I didn't think that the neighbours would appreciate me knocking on their door at 6am and asking "for my starling back ".   My task was trying to catch the youngsters who were in the house flying around in panic much to the bemusement of the young collies. Finally I managed to get them outside and when I looked on the lawn there were 2 further stunned young starlings who soon recovered and flew off.  After all that excitement I took some of the dogs out for a walk and when I came back and walked into the lounge I was greeted by a young starling sitting on the arm of the sofa just above where my old collie was sleeping !!!  

It is at this time of year when the birding is quiet that most of us turn our attention to other flying things, namely butterflies.  At the moment there are many butterflies out on the wing.  Plenty of Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Brimstone and Orange Tip. These are now joined by Common and Holly Blue, Dingy and Grizzled Skipper, Painted Lady, Wood White, Small Copper and Small Heath. 

Regards Eleanor

No comments: