Monday 1 April 2024

Sunshine and Showers

 It has certainly been a funny old day weatherwise. My heart sank when I awoke to heavy rain.  Thankfully this was short lived and I was able to get out and about.  I didn't have a set route planned but ended up at Blueberry where I decided to check the paddocks and hedgerows for migrants.  All appeared quiet but a pale looking area in a hedge caught my eye and when I looked with my binoculars I was very surprised to see a Short-eared Owl.  Infact there were 3 birds sitting in the hedge seemingly enjoying the sunshine.   I assumed that these were the same birds from the nearby area below Lamport (private land) so I made a detour and checked out the area ( I have permission) only to find the 4 birds still there.

The first day of April lived up to its name of "April Showers" and no doubt influenced the scattering of migrants around the county. There were Little Gulls at Stanwick GP and Pitsford Reservoir,  Common Tern at Thrapston on Town Lake, Sedge Warbler and Swallows on the Nene near Whiston Lock, Common Redstart at Stanford Reservoir,  White Wagtail at Summer Leys and Yellow Wagtail at Earls Barton quarry.                                                                                   I went to Harrington Airfield late afternoon and I could see a weather front bringing rain approaching but wasn't quick enough to beat it. I ended up taking shelter under a bush with the dogs and once it had passed over I found that a Yellow Wagtail and Northern Wheatear had dropped in.  Other birds included 2 Short-eared Owls, 6 Grey Partridge and 12 Golden Plovers. 

April is always an exciting month when we say goodbye to our winter visitors and welcome our summer migrants and whilst the birds are on the move keep your ears and eyes open as absolutely anything could turn up!!

The Northamptonshire Bird Club will be meeting on Wednesday at 7.30pm at the Lodge, Pitsford Water.  There will be a talk by birdclub member Neil McMahon on " Cambodia Revisited " .  Everyone is very welcome. 

Regards Eleanor 


Singing male Blackcap
courtesy of Tony Stanford.

Adult male Woodpigeon.


No comments: