Tuesday 2 April 2024

Ring Ouzel and Ringtail!!

This morning I decided to revisit the Blueberry area and it was whilst I was standing "watching the world wake up " that I heard the distinctive harsh call of a Ring Ouzel.  Eventually it showed itself to be a male,  before heading off north. A Yellow Wagtail was in one of the horse paddocks,  2 Bramblings around Blueberry Lodge and 2 Short Eared Owls in the area.

A brief visit to the dam area at Pitsford Reservoir yielded a White Wagtail,  Dunlin and 2 adult Little Gulls.  I couldn't resist a visit to Harrington Airfield and I caught it on one of it's "quiet" days. The only birds of note being a Short Eared Owl,  which was seen out hunting early evening,  and a newly arrived Willow Warbler singing.                               Finally I checked on the private land below Lamport and the 4 long staying Short Eared Owls remain but I'm sure that they will soon be on the move.

There were a few interesting birds reported today,  notably a Ringtail Hen Harrier over Stortons GP this morning before heading towards the town.  5 Cattle Egrets were in the Alpaca field just off Ditchford, female Ring Necked Duck on Cotton Reel Lake at Irthlingborough Lakes and Meadows and an Osprey over Deene Lake. 

Whilst out and about today I noticed small flocks of Fieldfares and Redwings heading north. They were definitely on the move. One day they are here and the next they have gone and you suddenly realise that you haven't seen one around for a while.    Siskins are also very noticeable at the moment and I am hearing and seeing them all over the place whilst I'm out.  Several flew over the garden and Dave Francis trapped 13 in his garden on the outskirts of Northampton in a short ringing session. 

Regards Eleanor 

Rooks are busy
feeding youngsters
in the nest now.

A good time of the
year to listen and watch
for the diminutive but
vibrant Firecrest!


No comments: