Thursday 1 February 2024

Super Short Eared Owl Sunset !!

After a busy morning of errands leaving the dogs short changed I thought that I'd better take them for a long walk this afternoon.  I didn't envisage a three and a half hour walk!!!!   I started off below Hanging Houghton where the pair of Stonechat were perched on the stone bridge over the stream.  They looked beautiful in the winter sunshine and spent a few minutes flycatching before flitting off across the grassy area.  Before heading off I checked the small pool where the Green Sandpipers are often found and they were both sitting there along with a Grey Wagtail.  Then I simply zig zagged around the fields and ended up at the highest point at Blueberry where we all enjoyed a rest. Whilst scanning from here I picked up a female Peregrine.  On my walk I actually saw very little, plenty of Fieldfares and Redwings feeding on the soggy fields, but little else.        By the time I left Blueberry and was on the "home straight " back to the car it was 16.30hrs and the sky was ablaze with a fantastic red sunset. I was just standing at a junction of tracks deciding which way back I was going to walk when I realised that my young collie Rouzel was staring very intently at something in the field.  I quickly grabbed her and as I took a step forward a Short Eared Owl got up from off the ground infront of me,  she had obviously spotted this.  The Owl just flew a short distance away from me.  I then carried on walking and couldn't believe it when another 2 Short Eared Owls got up from the ground.  I had just about recovered when I realised that I had 4 Short Eared Owls flying around me. I have no idea where they have come from or whether they will hang around.    All I know is that they gave me an amazing show against the backdrop of a beautiful deep red sky. They were also very vocal and  constantly calling to one another. Interestingly they were not bothered in the slightest by the presence of myself and dogs.  When I could draw myself away it was virtually dark and they were all settled back on the ground.  Needless to say the dogs were glad to get back to the car !!

Birds that I have seen whilst out and about this week include a Male Merlin near Blueberry,  Ringtail Hen Harrier at Harrington Airfield and the Great Northern Diver at Pitsford Reservoir.   I did visit Priors Hall Corby today but no luck with the Waxwings  ( 6 birds present Tuesday and Wednesday) and noticeably hardly any berries left. 

Other birds around in the county this week, 10 Jack Snipe and 100 Common Snipe at Daventry Country Park,  Greater Scaup at Grendon Lake, Crossbill at Corby,  Cattle Egret at Stanford Reservoir and Caspian,  Yellow Legged Gull and 100 Golden Plovers at Summer Leys. 

Well where did January go to ? Cannot believe that it has been and gone already!! Although not without leaving us with some stunning sunrises and sunsets, plenty of rain, a cold snap followed by abnormally warm days and the poor birds not knowing whether they were coming or going.         I wonder what this new month of February will bring ?

Regards Eleanor


Waxwings.


Fieldfare.

Images courtesy of
Jim Dunkley.


No comments: