Saturday 3 February 2024

A Surprise Find !!

I have been out of the county for most of the day competing at a fun agility show with my two collies who had a great time. On the way home I stopped off at Titchmarsh LNR with the hope of catching up with the Ring Necked Duck but I couldn't find it.  I just enjoyed a meander around the reserve watching the wildlife whilst the dogs had a chance to relax. Plenty of Cettis Warblers calling and 2 Chiffchaffs. At least 5 Great White Egrets and numerous Little Egrets around and a very vocal Water Rail.  I nearly got caught out as I'd forgotten how long it actually takes to walk around the reserve and realised that the light was fading fast.  As I was hurrying along I was aware that a dark bird was feeding in a area just the other side of Harpers Brook towards Elinor Lake and it came flying towards me and straight over my head. I couldn't believe it,  a Glossy Ibis!!. With the dogs looking totally bemused I ran back to where we had just come from and caught the Ibis heading for the egret roost and assume that is where it ended up as it was lost to sight in the poor light.

There seems to be a bit of a stalemate with the same few birds being reported over the last couple of days.  Seven Waxwings continue to show well at Priors Hall, Corby and Crossbills at Fineshade Wood from the wildlife hide.  The Greater Scaup remains at Hollowell Reservoir along with 2 Jacksnipe and several Stonechats.  Nearby at Stanford Reservoir a Pink Footed Goose and over at Summer Leys Oystercatcher, Golden Plovers,  Caspian and Yellow Legged Gulls.            The  2 Green Sandpipers and pair of Stonechat are still below Hanging Houghton and yesterday when it was nearly dark I came across 2 Short Eared Owls near Blueberry. I  assume these birds are two of the four birds I found the previous day. 

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: