Thursday 4 January 2024

Wonderful Waxwings!!

Potentially I had a very busy day planned but this all changed when I heard that the 4 Waxwings at Corby ( Park View, Priors Hall  NN17 5AX) were showing extremely well. After a quick lunch I literally threw the dogs in the car and off we went. I'm never too comfortable looking for birds in residential areas so was very relieved to find that the birds were not in gardens but in an area infront of the houses in a small gullet area of trees/bushes.  When I arrived there was quite a crowd gathered, a mixture of birders, photographers and local residents all looking intently at the group of 4 Waxwings perched up in a small bare tree. I didn't need binoculars as they were very close.   Well these birds really knew how to wow the crowd and they really performed to their audience!! They were preening and trilling whilst in the bare tree before flying the short distance onto the Rowan berries and were even closer to the gathering crowd.  No wonder there have been so many amazing pictures of these superstars appearing on the social media sites.   I  stayed much longer than planned because they were so mesmerising to watch.  It was interesting to watch them pick an individual berry  from the bush and sometimes toss it up and catch it before eating it or gently turn the picked berry into the right position before consuming it.  The birds were not at all concerned about the crowd or by the residents going about their daily business.     If you get the opportunity it is well worth the trip over, you will not be disappointed.  Whilst I was there I heard Water Rail calling from the small pools at the bottom of the gullet and Grey Wagtail over.

My initial plan was to drive on to Wakerley Wood and take the dogs for a long walk but because I spent so long with the Waxwings the light was already becoming dull so decided to drive back home and stop off at Harrington Airfield for a quick walk.   However my walk was very quiet and I was virtually back at my car when a Short Eared Owl got up in front of the collies and sat in a bush staring at me.  It really was a case of deja vue from yesterday.   I  then finished my day with a walk around the fields below Hanging Houghton. This was quite a productive end to the day,  female Merlin,  pair of Stonechat,  Barn Owl and 2 Green Sandpipers again!

Other birds around today include 5 Crossbills at Wakerley Wood in the car park, 3 Short-eared Owls at Nevilles Lodge,  Finedon,  Cattle Egrets,  Redshanks and Marsh Harrier at Stanwick GP and a group of 7 Goosander and a rehead Red Breasted Merganser reported at Rushden Lakes.

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: