Wednesday 3 January 2024

Goosanders, Shorties and Waxwings

It has been a strange couple of days with the weather being all over the place!! Yesterday we were rather unexpectedly battered by "storm Henk" which seemed to catch everyone out.  I was out and about and couldn't believe the amount of water running off the fields which made many roads around here impassable.  Whilst out I made a quick visit to Sywell CP,  where rather eerily I was the only person there. So a very peaceful walk round with the dogs although I was aware of the constant noise of the flood warning siren which was as relentless as the rain coming down.  It was quiet for birds, Cettis Warbler,  Stonechats,  Siskins and Redpolls being the highlights. 

3 Waxwings had been found in the morning at Weggs Farm Road in Duston. I decided to try for them mid afternoon when there was a break in the weather.  However I couldn't find them.  I drove around the area and noted quite a few potential trees with berries but sadly no birds.  I  don't think that they were seen after 2pm and no sign of them today. However a single Waxwing was seen briefly in  East Hunsbury and the 4 Waxwings at Priors Hall  Corby showed well.   These 4 birds have been showing exceptionally well today to the delight of the many photographers.  I have seen some amazing pictures/video clips on social media. 

I went to Harrington Airfield this afternoon to feed the birds and I wasn't very happy when it started raining again soon after I left the car. I  was muttering under my breath and my two collies were trotting along in front of me when a Short-eared Owl got up from the long grass. Well I  soon forgot that I was wet and cross and just enjoyed looking at this gorgeous bird. It performed so well and even sat in a bush and gave me a " hard stare" with it's liquid yellow eyes. I skirted around the bush and in doing so I flushed up another Shortie which flew towards bunker 1.  I  continued on my circuit and flushed another Owl which was likely to have been one of the earlier birds.        For some reason instead of going home I went to the shrike hedge area below Hanging Houghton and bizarre found another Short-eared Owl.  I'm wondering if these birds have become displaced due to the recent heavy rainfall and flooding. 

Today there have been a few sightings of Goosanders,  not big numbers as this seems to be a thing of the past.  I can remember the days of large numbers at Pitsford Reservoir but now we are lucky if a handful of birds turn up.  Now they seem to prefer much smaller bodies of water. There were single birds at Harlestone Lake, Hardingstone GP,  2 at Abington Park lake and 6 on the Ski lake at Rushden Lakes. I  used to work near Abington Park and this has been a regular wintering site for many years as has the Ski lake at Rushden. 

Other birds reported yesterday were 2 1st winter Mediterranean Gulls,  Caspian and Yellow Legged Gull in the roost at Stanford Reservoir and a Merlin over Wicksteed Park.  Today there were 20 Ring Necked Parakeets at Abington Park, Mediterranean Gull at Stanford Reservoir and at Hollowell Reservoir Caspian and Yellow Legged Gull,  Stonechats and Pink Footed Goose. 

Hopefully the weather is going to improve at the weekend when it should become drier, cooler and sunshine. Fingers crossed, 

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: