Friday 29 December 2023

Waxwing at last!!

 Finally a Waxwing on the doorstep!!! After weeks of waiting a single Waxwing was located yesterday in Brixworth feeding in a small Rowan tree next to the Heritage Centre.   When the news broke I was half way to Blueberry so couldn't get there.   Therefore I was very relieved this morning when Wendy and Stuart put the news out that the bird was still there. Today was a day of errands so I literally threw everything into the car and headed off to Brixworth.  I  inadvertently parked right next to the Rowan tree and literally could have reached out of the window and touched it.  As it was just before 08.30 the light was really dull but the Waxwing showed very well and was content to feed on the berries. However the Blackbirds too were attracted to the berries and proved to be competition for the Waxwing.   On my way back from running my errands I checked the area again and the Waxwing was back in the Rowan tree before being disturbed and flying into the nearby trees where it perched up like a sentry on duty.   Looking on the local social media pages a few of the residents caught up with this bird too.       My only other birds of note were 2 Green Sandpipers again in the valley below Hanging Houghton.  I am seeing/hearing these birds regularly at dusk.  I wonder if they are wintering here ?

The 2 Waxwings were seen again yesterday at Higham Ferrers but I haven't seen any reports yet for today.  These birds obviously showed very well judging by all the stunning photographs of them.  Infact I was planning on heading over there today but changed my mind when the Brixworth bird was found.    The juvenile Great Northern Diver remains at Pitsford Reservoir,  a Mediterranean Gull in the roost at Stanford Reservoir,  Marsh Harrier and Cattle Egrets at Stanwick GP,  Caspian Gull at both Hollowell and Ravensthorpe Reservoirs and Pink Footed Goose at Hollowell Reservoir. 

Have a good weekend. 

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: