Saturday 23 December 2023

Into the Woods !

 I found myself with a free day today so took the opportunity of heading to the north of the county and two of my favourite woods,  Fineshade and Wakerley.  Combined with being a weekend and close to Christmas I wasn't sure whether I would regret my decision.  However the woods and the roads were very quiet.    

I started at day break at Fineshade Wood with my three dogs and we went for a  two hour run zig zagging through the wood on the numerous if somewhat muddy trails. During time at Fineshade I only met two other people and they too were running with their dogs.  On my run round I could hear numerous small flocks of Siskins, 4 Redpolls,  Brambling and flushed a Woodcock. There was a small flock of Crossbills in Westhay Wood. Following my run I  treated myself to breakfast from the cafe which was delicious and I highly recommend the coffee and homemade cakes. A quick walk around top Lodge area produced 2 further Crossbills,  Brambling and 2 Ravens. 

Suitably refuelled I drove the short distance to Wakerley Wood where there were about 15 Crossbills calling and flying around the car park.  I spent the next couple of hours wandering around Wakerley Wood, again zig zagging around on the numerous trails. The only other person I met was a rather bemused cyclist sitting in the middle of nowhere eating his sandwiches which he shared with my dogs !!  For most of my walk I didn't see or hear anything and it was eerily quiet.  Then suddenly I could hear quite a large group of Crossbills coming towards me and I watched them carry on through the Wood. I was over towards Spanhoe Airfield when I saw these.  Later on I actually came across 8 Crossbills feeding in some Larch trees plus at least 4 Brambling feeding underneath a small stand of Beech trees. 

Blatherwycke Lake was next on my agenda and I struggled to find any Mandarin Ducks in their usual area but the water level was very high so wondered if this was the cause of their absence.  All I could find were 2 Egyptian Geese.  I walked to the church as the area around the church can sometimes be very productive.  There were no passerines of note but looking down on the lake which was quite sheltered below the church there were 3 more Egyptian Geese and a Black Swan.  It was from this viewpoint that I saw an Otter which headed towards the village.                       A quick stop at Deene Lake produced a pair of Stonechat,  7 Shelduck and another Black Swan.  

All in all a very enjoyable day out even if the Crossbills were at times frustrating due to them being so mobile.  It was just so good to be able to get out and about before the constraints of the coming festivities take hold.

Very few birds reported today.  The Ringtail Hen Harrier was again at Nevilles Lodge, a Cattle Egret at Wicksteed Water Meadows and the Greater Scaup at Pitsford Reservoir.  A possible Glaucous Gull was seen at Pitsford so worth checking out any large gulls at Pitsford and beyond. 

Regards Eleanor 



No comments: