Monday 10 July 2023

Fabulous Fermyn Woods

 Following a busy weekend of competing with the collies I thought that they could have an easy day and do something completely different.  As it was a nice sunny morning I took them and the hound into the woods.  My quest was to  see the Purple Emperor butterflies which are now out and about. I started out at Fermyn Country Park and slowly meandered through the park itself,  Fermyn Wood and into Lady Wood and beyond.  We spent 5 hours meandering around enjoying the weather and feast of Butterflies.  During this time I only came face to face with one other person and saw a couple more in the distance.  It really felt as if myself and dogs had the whole woods to ourselves.

Although I didn't see large numbers of Purple Emperors,  they gave amazing and ridiculously close views. One landed on my shoe seemingly oblivious to the dogs sitting next to me. I  wore a purple t-shirt which I thought was quite bright but this paled into insignificance against the vibrant purple sheen on these butterflies when the sunshine caught their wings.  It was well worth the visit. 

There were so many different species of butterflies on the wing, sometimes it was difficult to know where to look.  It really was a feast for the eyes. There were good numbers of Silver Washed Fritillary's whizzing around and perched up especially on the Blackberry flowers.  I counted 8 together on one small bramble.                                                Other species seen  were Purple Hairstreak,  White and Red  Admiral , Small and Large Skipper,  Brimstone,  Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock,  Comma,  Speckled Wood, Marbled White, Meadow Brown,  Ringlet and Gatekeeper.   Phew, but I'm sure that I missed some.  There were also plenty of Dragonflies,  Damselflies , Bees and other flying insects but I really didn't do these justice as I only gave them a cursory look.

Other wildlife seen were fox, hare ,Muntjac and Roe Deer. Tor the hound alerted me to the presence of a couple of Grass Snakes. I always know when he has found one as he literally jumps a mile.      Of course my ears were alert to the birds around.  Birds of note were 2 Siskins and 6+ Crossbills.   Plenty of vocal Jays,  Great  Spotted Woodpeckers and Nuthatches.                                                   

I literally had to drag myself away but I had other things that I needed to do,plus the dogs needed a rest!!   On my way home I popped in at Pitsford Reservoir and was surprised to hear and see the male Bearded Tit still present below the Lodge near to the moth trap.

A few other birds reported today include Wood Sandpiper, Greenshank, Little Ringed Plovers, Black Tailed and Common Sandpiper at Summer Leys.  Mediterranean Gull and Black Tailed Godwits at Stanwick GP and Garganey at both Daventry CP and Thrapston GP. 

On a different note,  yesterday I was up early and out with the dogs before 05.30. It was a stunning morning but already it had a real "autumnal feeling " as the mist hung in the valley.  Later in the day a Common Redstart was reported from the county border at Stanford on Avon.  Is this a sign that Autumn with all its amazing migration is starting already???!!!!

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: