Sunday 16 July 2023

A Wild Weekend!!

Weather wise it has been a wild and stormy weekend,  a bit like my two young collies who were competing at agilty with some success!!.  As I was competing at Peterborough I intended to pop into Titchmarsh LNR in the hope of catching up with the Black Necked Grebes.  When I arrived there late yesterday afternoon so did a storm. It thundered, lightened and rained heavily.  Needless to say I continued on my journey home where the sun was shining. I took advantage of this and headed off across the fields towards Blueberry.  A Common Redstart was still flitting about in one of the favourite hedgerows.  En route I disturbed 4 Little Egrets, 2 Grey Wagtails and a Kingfisher in the stream below Hanging Houghton and nearby an adult Grey Partridge with 2 small young. These are the first youngsters I have seen.                                                                                                                  Today on my way back from Peterborough the weather was more favourable when I arrived at Titchmarsh LNR.  Plenty of birds to look at and it did take me a while to locate the target species.  After a while an adult and juvenile Black Necked Grebe showed very well.  There was barely any size difference between the two birds, just subtle differences in plumage defining their ages. I'm not sure where the other two juveniles have gone although a juvenile has turned up  at Stanford Reservoir which may be one of them ??

An unsettled week of weather is forecast which may or may not produce some different birds.  Keep those ears and eyes open.

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: