Friday 4 November 2022

Interesting few days

 On Wednesday afternoon I had a very blustery walk at Harrington Airfield.  Everything was keeping its head down.  There were at least 10+ Bramblings tucked away in the bushes waiting for their food.  The pair of Stonechat were also keeping a low profile.  As I walked around the first bunker their was a strong gust of wind causing the leaves to swirl around.  I was aware that "something " shot passed me. I thought that it was just a leaf but when I looked closely I was amazed to see a Northern Wheatear!!! I can't remember seeing one in November before.  There was a moment of panic as I thought to myself "have I stumbled across a rare Wheatear " whilst scrutinising every single feather, but it was definitely a Northern Wheatear.                                                                                                 Yesterday I was without my car again so all my birding was done within walking distance from the house. I took the two older dogs for an amble around the fields/footpaths near Lamport hall.  Plenty of Redwings and Fieldfares in the hedgerows and a bonus of a scaly Ring Ouzel on the grassy track that I was walking along. Quite a few common passerines, including a male Blackcap enjoying the sunshine as they moved along hedgerows .   I walked through the village and down to the valley area with the young collies.  A lovely afternoon walk but the only birds of note being a pair of Stonechat.                                                                                                                                                   Today I returned to Harrington Airfield.  It is funny how things work out.  I knew that I was going to do a big circuit but until I arrived I hadn't decided which way round I was going to walk. In the end I decided to walk along the main track first. I had only walked a few hundred metres when I heard a noise. Initially I thought that it was a dog barking and as I three of my dogs with me I scanned around to see who was coming.  I couldn't see anyone and heard the noise again and the penny dropped,  it was the sound of wild geese.  As I looked to my right towards the chipping compound I could see a skein of grey geese heading my way.  The beautiful sight and sound of 29 Pink Footed Geese as they flew low straight over me and headed across the fields to the A14.  After that excitement I continued my wanderings bumping into a pair of Stonechat,  10+ Bramblings, 4 Redpolls,  100+ Golden Plovers and a Peregrine.   Whilst walking slowly through the rough area I was aware that the Blackbirds and Magpies were very vocal and agitated giving me the impression that they had found something of interest in the bushes.  I went over to explore and fully expected to find an owl but all I flushed was a Woodcock.  I'm not sure if that is what was causing them to be agitated or just a chance finding as I walked towards the noisy birds.                                                                                                                         I  was determined to make the most of today's lovely weather as the weekend forecast is not good.  My final destination was Blueberry area. Initially just what I would expect to see at this time of year.  Good numbers of Redwings and Fieldfares in the hedgerows.  Brambling,  Redpolls and Siskins over and plenty of Red Kites loafing around.  The views from the highest point are amazing and I never tire from sitting here watching the world go by.  As I scanned towards Cottesbrooke I picked up 3 Roe Deer and whilst watching these an owl flew through my field of view. It was an "asio" owl but I needed to get much closer to identify it. I continued walking around the field ( I have the landowners permission) until I was only a field away, so much closer. The owl was a Short-eared Owl and it hunted over a couple of small rough areas. I suspect that it is the same bird that has been seen a few times in the area.          By the time I got home I had also knotched up 2 Little Owls and a Barn Owl. 

There seem to be quite a few Red Crested Pochards around at the moment, Pitsford Reservoir,  Daventry CP, Clifford Hill and Stanford Reservoir in varying numbers.   Other birds around Cattle Egret at Summer Leys, Black Tailed Godwit at Ravensthorpe,  Merlin and Stonechat at Lilbourne Meadows NR.  But if it Great White Egrets you are after then head over to Pitsford Reservoir where a staggering 21 birds were seen north of the causeway today!!

Hope that you have a good weekend 

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: