Tuesday 1 November 2022

An unexpected encounter

 It has been a bit of a wild windy day with sunshine and showers.  Plenty of leaves swirling around as they fall from the trees and it looked like confetti as I walked along the Brampton Valley Way this morning. Infact it has been a lovely Autumn day.                            My birding has been confined to the area below Hanging Houghton whilst I walked the dogs.  Early morning there was at least 6 Bramblings roosting in the hedge behind the old cattle shed. On my lunchtime walk I bumped into the pair of Stonechat which have been in the area for a while. I  spent time checking through the large numbers of Skylarks and Meadow Pipits but couldn't find anything different.  I was aware of continual flocks of Starlings, Fieldfares and Redwings moving over.                                                                            Late afternoon and it was time to take the dogs out again,  yes I know they are spoilt!! I intended to park near the old cattle shed and wander around the area but at the last minute I decided to drive along to shrike hedge.  I was just driving slowly along with the nectar strip on my left when a bird suddenly flew low infront of the car. All I could see was a "white rump" disappearing slowly ahead of me. Instantly I knew what this bird was, a Ring Tail Hen Harrier. By this time I had come to a halt and watched the bird quartering the nectar strip.  It  turned and came back towards me and dropped into the nectar strip right next to my car and then continued to hunt up and down the strip.  I was just transfixed and I could have reached out and touched it. I hardly dared breath and certainly daren't move as I didn't want to frighten the bird. It was such a surreal and magical moment and one where I just had to sit, watch and enjoy.    After several unsuccessful attempts the Harrier headed towards shrike hedge with me in pursuit.   As I parked the car I could see the Harrier following the hedgerow towards Blueberry which was the same direction that I would be heading.   Finally I let the dogs out of the car and my young collies ran on ahead and in doing so flushed a Short-eared Owl from the ditch. This too headed towards Blueberry.  I  really couldn't believe it.    Anyway I headed towards Blueberry.  I didn't see the Owl again but the Harrier was hunting over a  small weedy field.  I enjoyed watching this beautiful bird again until the weather changed and a heavy shower spoilt everything. 

Tomorrow the Northants Bird Club will be meeting at 19.30hrs at the Lodge, Pitsford Water.  Matthew Capper will be giving an illustrative talk on the opportunities for Birding in Florida, USA.   It promises to be a very interesting evening.   Everyone is very welcome to come along. Refreshments and good company provided. 

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: