Friday 1 April 2022

The migrants are coming .......slowly!!

 There seems to be a slow trickle of migrants coming through.  I'm sure that the northerly winds and snow flurries are not helping matters.  Yesterday Common Tern,  Swallows and Sand Martins were seen at Titchmarsh Reserve , Kinewell Lake and Summer Leys.  Today there was Willow Warbler and Sedge Warbler at Kinewell Lake.  They must be wondering what has happened to the weather!! I hope that they will be able to find enough food to restore their bodies after their long journeys.   I  visited Harrington Airfield this afternoon and found a Northern Wheatear taking shelter behind a large stone as the snow started to fall. It didn't look very happy and totally out of place with the snow blowing around.    The remaining Bramblings were very happy to see me and I had barely sprinkled the food before they were down and tucking in. These birds didn't seem to mind the snow and I wish that I could have taken a picture as the males looked absolutely gorgeous in the snow.   There were a couple of hundred Fieldfares and Redwings in the bushes which were chattering away and no doubt they will soon be thinking of heading off to their breeding ground. 

Other birds around include a Marsh Harrier,  Garganeys and Spotted Redshank at Summer Leys yesterday.  A female Ring Necked Duck and Mediterranean Gull were at Kinewell Lake today with Glossy Ibis and Mediterranean Gull not far away at Stanwick GP.                              Also nearby at Woodford in fields between the church and the river were an incredible total of 9 Cattle Egrets!! I didn't see them myself but I am familiar with the area as Neil and I used to visit this area regularly and we often saw some interesting birds. However we haven't been here for a while,  simply a case of not enough hours in the day to do what we want to do. 

Have a good weekend and please continue to feed the birds in your gardens as the cold weather is going to continue for a few more days. We want to give the birds who bring us so much pleasure the best start possible as they head towards their breeding season. 

Regards Eleanor 


No comments: