Monday 25 April 2022

Catch-up

 I have been away for a few days indulging in my other passion, agility,  although after this weekend I sometimes wonder why I bother!!. But the dogs thoroughly enjoyed themselves.   Now I am playing catch up with the birds which have been seen over the last few days.  I was aware of the birds around due to the whats app messages and was keeping my fingers crossed that a mega didn't turn up which was quite possible at this time of year.      I did manage to miss the White Stork which turned up at Earls Barton on Thursday (21st). When the news broke I was in the middle of something and then when I could go the bird had flown off.  Not expecting it to be found again in Northants I went off topping up the feeding stations and didn't realise that it had landed at Stanwick until it was too late.  It was seen again at Stanwick the following day before it disappeared.  It was a female bird GB46 from the White Stork  Project Reintroduction Scheme.  If the bird is currently moving about then it might turn up again in the county,  so keep your eyes peeled.

It has been a good weekend for the Nene Valley with Little Gulls,  Sandwich Terns, Arctic Terns, Whimbrel,  Bar Tailed Godwits, Sanderling,  Dunlin,  Ruff, Grey Plover and Bittern all being recorded.  Plus the long standing Glossy Ibis,  Great White Egrets,  Cattle Egret and Garganey. 

Away from the Nene Valley  there were Arctic Tern and Little Gulls at Boddington Reservoir, Little Gulls at Daventry Country Park, Bar Tailed Godwits at Byfield and DIRFT3 and Little Gulls at Pitsford Reservoir.        But the place to be was Honey Hill, not just for the amazing views but for Ring Ouzel.  Several birds were present over the weekend viewed from the Jurassic way footpath looking towards the small undulating sheep field.  It is a very interesting looking area and is high up so I'm not at all surprised that it is attracting these gorgeous birds.   A single Ring Ouzel has been showing from a footpath near West Farndon.                                                                                                     Plenty of summer migrants have now arrived,  Cuckoo,  Sedge Warbler,  Yellow Wagtails,  Lesser Whitethroat,  Whitethroat,  Swallows and no doubt there will be more to come.  Definitely an exciting time of year as absolutely anything could turn up anywhere and may not necessarily be found by a birdwatcher.  I have learnt never to dismiss anything that a non birder might tell you about.  Many years ago a colleague at work said that she had a very pretty bird feeding in her garden.  I went to have a look and nearly choked on my tea when a Waxwing dropped in!!

On my return yesterday it was a case of feeding the birds in the garden and at Kelmarsh and Harrington Airfield.  Although the feeders were empty I had barely finished topping them up before the birds descended.  I was very surprised when a Brambling started calling near to our garden and infact has been feeding in the garden today along with several Yellowhammers and Reed Buntings.  Yesterday evening as I walked from the chipping compound towards the feeding areas at Harrington Airfield I came across a lovely male Common Redstart in the bushes and a Grasshopper Warbler at bunker 2.

Think that I have just about caught up now !! I wonder what this week will bring ?

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: