Thursday 30 December 2021

Warm Winter Day !!

 A bit of a strange day.  When I got up this morning it was already 10'c/50'f  When I  opened the back door the abnormally warm air met me evoking memories of travelling on holiday to warmer countries and the feeling of meeting the warm air as we descended the plane and left the airport.                                                                                                              I started the day with a run and had to quickly dig out a T shirt rather than my usual fleecy top. I actually enjoy running early in the morning just as it is getting light when it is just me, my dogs and the natural world just waking up.  As I ran along I did wake up quite a lot of Redwings,  Fieldfares and Brambling from the hedgerows plus a couple of Woodcock. By the time dawn broke I was at the highest point at Blueberry where I took a brief rest to enjoy the beautiful colours of the morning sky and was taken by surprise with a very close encounter with a Barn Owl. 

The light was much better today and there was even a period of sunshine and even the birds thought that spring had come. The Great Tits were in full song and a  couple of Great Spotted Woodpeckers were very vocal,  chasing each other and then drumming.  I  managed a visit to Pitsford Reservoir and caught up with the 3 drake Smew in the Holcot bay but saw very little else of note. I couldn't find any waders apart from Lapwings which gave a great aerial display whilst  being chased by a male Peregrine. 

Harrington Airfield was quiet early afternoon and the weather had changed back to being dull and drizzly,  but by now it was a balmy 15'c/59'f and I was regretting wearing too many layers.  The only birds of note were 20 Brambling,  Woodcock and 4 Grey Partridge.    Nearby at Kelmarsh there were approx 40 Siskins.

A few other folk were out and about birding today,  no doubt making the most of the "brighter " day.  The Black Redstart was again at Borough Hill but can be elusive,   Red Crested Pochard,  Caspian Gull and Pink Footed Goose at Stanford Reservoir, and Greater Scaup at Stortons GP.                                                                                                                        But bird of the day goes to a female Ring Necked Duck which was found on the town lake at Thrapston GP keeping company with a few Tufted Ducks.  It is always worth spending time checking through the Tufted Ducks at this time of year because you never know what you might find!!

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: