Thursday 9 September 2021

Redstarts and Autumn Birding

 With the mist hanging over the fields and valley,  the hedgerows laden with ripening fruit and the majority of the crops cut it really is Autumn.  But that's fine by me as it is my favourite time of year and I tend to spend most of the day out and about rather than doing the other things that I should be doing like housework and shopping. 

It is quite an exciting time for birding as the Autumn migration gets underway. Already I have noticed a movement of Meadow Pipits, Pied Wagtails and even Blackbirds.  This morning I went out running first and had several Grey Wagtails,  Siskin and Meadow Pipits flying over. A quick detour to Blueberry where I could see and hear 2 Common Redstart. I also literally ran into an adult with 4 young Grey Partridge. After a  quick coffee it was straight up to Harrington Airfield where I timed it just right as the mist was lifting. I knew that it was promising when the roadside bushes were busy with birds.  One of the first birds I saw was a Tree Pipit perched momentarily on top of one of the bushes near the chipping compound before flying off calling.  There were at least 2 Common Redstart present,  a Whinchat, Northern Wheatear and 8 Blackbirds around bunker 2.  I also bumped into the 2 young Grey Partridge which was nice to see that so far they are doing well.

Over the last few days there have been plenty of typical Autumn birds in the county. Northern Wheatear at Braunston and Harrington,  Whinchats at Borough Hill, Harrington, Stanford Res, Welford Res,Hanging Houghton and Blueberry. Marsh Harrier at Summer Leys, Harrington,  Blueberry and Stanford Res. Garganey at Daventry Res. Red Crested Pochard at Stanford and Pitsford Reservoir.  Little Stint at Dirft3 and Thrapston. Yesterday there were at least 12 Spotted Flycatchers feeding in the hedge near Lamport Hall.  

Many of these birds have been "long stayers " and a species that has been with us for weeks is the Common Redstart.  I never tire of watching these birds and I regard them as a true Autumn bird. They seem to prefer old hedgerows and return each year to the same spot. I  love to watch them flit about in the hedge or sit on a  fence shimmering their tails. Sometimes they can be quite elusive and stay deep in the bushes and tease us with their distinctive call as has been happening at Harrington Airfield.  At other times they are extremely showy like the birds have been at Blueberry.   I  think that huge numbers pass through the county each year but we only see a fraction of them.  Currently they are  being seen near Old, Honey Hill , Lamport Hall,  Stanford Reservoir,  Woodford Halse, Twywell Hills and Dale's, Corby, Hanging Houghton,  Blueberry and Harrington Airfield.     So keep your ears and eyes open for a  flash of red along the hedgerows and take time to enjoy these beauties.

Regards Eleanor 




Hummingbird Hawk-moth
courtesy of Jim Dunkley.

Hornet courtesy of
Robin Gossage.

Common Redstart at
Blueberry Farm courtesy
of  David Smith.


No comments: