Monday 6 September 2021

Collies 3 Owls 3

 I've been away for the weekend competing with my bird themed dogs, Rouzel,  Jaeger and Spot the Birdie twitcher Tor, who did quite well so my birding has been somewhat limited.     I did manage an evening visit to Harrington Airfield where I sat waiting for the Red Arrows to fly over as they made their way back to Lincolnshire and they duly obliged. Whilst waiting for the Reds I spent the time scanning the fields. I had already noticed a large flock of Linnets feeding on the stubble fields so wasn't surprised when a female Merlin appeared and started to chase them around.  A Marsh Harrier flew through and there was a noticeable passage of hirundines,  Yellow and Pied Wagtails, Meadow Pipits and Skylarks.  A Common Redstart and Spotted Flycatcher were in the bushes near to the chipping compound.

Today on my travels I saw at least 2 Common Redstart, 2 Whinchat, Hobby and Peregrine around the Blueberry area plus 3 more Whinchat below Hanging Houghton. 

However due to internet issues and my phone playing up with the WhatsApp not working I haven't got a clue what birds are around in the county at the moment but this does tend to be an exciting time of year as the Autumn migration gets into full swing.

Just as the light was fading this evening I took the 3 collies into the field behind the house for one of their favourite pastimes, a game of football. Bobbie with her gammy legs plays a mean game with the youngsters!!. Mind you I was somewhat distracted by two Little Owls calling to each other and flying around.  A Tawny Owl was also very vocal and a Barn Owl put in an appearance.  All this within the space of half an hour resulting in a draw between the collies and owls !!


Regards Eleanor 

No comments: