Friday 14 August 2020

It was a dull and murky start to the day but as far as I was concerned perfect conditions for some bird movement.    I was chomping at the bit to get out and about but long standing commitments and errands meant that it was late morning before I managed to get out.    First stop was the dam at Pitsford. I very nearly didn't bother as the dam was busy with people walking/running/cycling over and the water busy with sailing activity. However I thought "now I'm here I 'll just have a quick look ".  I couldn't see anything of note on the water but I could see a small group of waders at the far end of the dam and as I started to walk towards them they flew towards me calling, 4 Sanderling.  I was really pleased with this as not a common bird at Pitsford. As I stood enjoying watching them running like clockwork toys a further 2 Sanderling joined them.  I believe that later observers saw 12 birds.       Time to look at the small side, but not before a quick walk across the causeway produced a Turnstone and 4 Common Sandpiper.   On my walk into the Scaldwell arm there was a fem/imm Common Redstart in the field hedge which runs parallel to the reserve. Over the years this has been a regular site for these birds as they move through on passage.   Plenty of wildfowl to look through which can be challenging at times as they most are in their "eclipse" plumage so all look the same, just different shapes !! There were 4 Red Crested Pochards which have been there a while plus a Goldeneye.  Two Great White Egrets suddenly appeared and they were extremely vocal and it looked as if they were simply chasing each other around as they flew around both the Scaldwell and Walgrave bays.

Early afternoon I took the dogs for a walk around the fields below Hanging Houghton / Cottesbrooke area.  A juvenile Marsh Harrier was quartering the ripening crops.  It may be the same bird which I have seen on a few occasions before.  A Whinchat and a Northern Wheatear were flitting about near to one of the nectar strips and there were also several Clouded Yellow butterflies were on the wing.

If it was waders that you were after then the Nene Valley between Stanwick , Summer Leys and Clifford Hill was the place to be.  A good selection of waders were seen by several observers today including Wood, Green and Common Sandpiper, Ringed and Little Ringed Plover, Greenshank, Ruff, Turnstone, Sanderling, Dunlin, Snipe and Black Tailed Godwit.

Regards Eleanor

No comments: