Friday 7 August 2020

" Autumn" Feeling

Today certainly had that " Autumn" feeling. I was up early and out by 06.30hrs to take the dogs out before the predicted hot weather arrived.  Mind you it was already feeling quite warm at this time.
As I headed down to the valley area below Hanging Houghton I really thought that I had fast forwarded into Autumn as the mist hung over the valley . It looked stunning and I even stopped to take some pictures.
Even the birds joined in the "Autumn" feeling as there was a Northern Wheatear and Juvenile Marsh Harrier in the area infront of the old cattle shed.
By the time I reached the highest point at Blueberry the mist had completely disappeared enabling me to sit and enjoy the magnificent views over the rolling Northamptonshire countryside towards Cottesbrooke and beyond Northampton.  Another photographic opportunity.  Joining me at this high point was a Whinchat and Grasshopper Warbler.  
Continuing my walk along the hedgerows I saw a fem/imm Common Redstart and plenty of common warblers.
Then it was back home to pick up my two old crocs and take them for a slow sedate walk.  By now it was beginning to warm up nicely and the butterflies had woken up.  There were at least 2+ Clouded Yellow butterflies on the planted nectar strip opposite the old cattle shed.
I can never resist a visit to Harrington at this time of year so breakfast had to wait whilst I headed up there.  A slow steady walk through the bushes on the rough strip produced another Common Redstart and Grasshopper Warbler plus 8 Crossbills flying over.  There were also several Clouded Yellow butterflies.  
The farmers are beginning to start on the harvest and already one of the fields had been cut and cleared and was being ploughed.  This field attracted a flock of approx 100 Lesser Black Backed Gulls whilst I was attracted to the lovely earthy smell.
Back home for a late breakfast and no further birding until this evening when a short walk across the fields below Hanging Houghton produced Little Owl, Barn Owl and Hobby.
The only other bird of note today was a Turtle Dove.

Regards Eleanor






No comments: