Monday 23 December 2019

Out and About

Another nice day with plenty of blue skies and sunshine and I was able to get out and about more.
I started the day with an early morning run where I saw a Barn Owl as dawn broke and flushed at least 2 Woodcock from the hedgerows near to Blueberry.
Later in the day I managed a quick look at Pitsford and saw the male Smew and a Great White Egret north of the causeway.
An equally brief visit to Hollowell and a better look at the 2 Velvet Scotors in good light.  My previous view of the scotors had been just as the light was fading so it was good to see them in sunshine today.  They are lovely looking birds and well worth a trip over.
Early afternoon found me at Harrington to feed the birds. As I was leaving the car a flock of about 200 Golden Plover came over, circled around calling before continuing heading southwards. 
I'd no sooner started walking again when I could hear the corvids getting excited about something and when I looked I could see that they were harassing a Short Eared Owl.  They all disappeared from view towards the third bunker and despite walking around there with my 4 legged helpers I failed to locate the owl.    Otherwise it was very quiet at Harrington.
Non stop today as we have lots of birds visiting the garden and we are replenishing the seed daily.  Today's visitors included male Blackcap, male Great Spotted Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Reed Bunting, Yellowhammer, Grey Wagtail and Sparrowhawk.

Regards Eleanor

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2020 to you both and Thanks for all the blog posts you post throughout the year which make enjoyable reading and let’s us know what birds are about in the county.Wendy & Stuart xx