Tuesday 24 December 2019

Christmas Eve

This morning I popped into town very early to pick up last minute shopping and took the opportunity of visiting Harlestone Firs on my way home.
It was just beginning to get light as I entered the woods and the birds were just thinking about waking up !!!  As I walked the sun rose and the birds started their "winter dawn " chorus. It was quite amazing to simply listen as more and more birds joined in. Already the most vocal of the birds were the Siskins and during my walk around Siskins were dotted all through the wood.  The most I saw together was a flock of 60 near the railway line.  Other birds included several Nuthatches, Marsh Tits and Great Spotted Woodpeckers.
I also explored the large rough area adjacent to the Firs and accessed via a footpath from the Firs.  It looks an interesting area and I quickly came across two pairs of Stonechats. 
The fields between the Firs and this rough area were full of feeding birds. I easily counted a flock of 52 Pied Wagtails and 70 Linnets. Other birds included large numbers of Rooks, Jackdaws and Stock Doves.
As I walked back into the Firs it started to rain and this produced a beautiful bright rainbow.   My quick walk ended up being a 2 hour amble and I hardly saw another person and most of the time it felt as if I had got the whole place to myself, well apart from my young collies !!  Bliss
At lunchtime it was the turn of my other dogs to go out so I took them on a slow wander around the fields below Hanging Houghton. Lately it has been very quiet in this area but today there were more birds about, namely Skylarks, Meadow Pipits, Reed Buntings and Yellowhammers.  There were plenty of Common Buzzards and Red Kites enjoying the sunshine and wind and I nearly missed the Ring Tailed Hen Harrier as it came through and went off across the fields towards Cottesbrooke.

WE  WOULD  JUST  LIKE  TO WISH  EVERYONE  A VERY HAPPY  CHRISTMAS  AND HOPE  THAT  YOU ENJOY  YOUR  DAY  WHATEVER  YOU  ARE  DOING  AND  WHEREVER  YOU MIGHT  BE X


No comments: