Thursday 9 January 2014

Bits and Bobs

Today has found me snatching a bit of birding here and there. Firstly a gentle walk through the village with my two limping collies produced 2+ Bramblings and several Siskins. Next it was time for a  run, where 2 vocal Ravens and a Red Kite near Cottesbrooke were the only birds of note.
At lunchtime a short walk at Brixworth Country Park produced 2 Bramblings and I heard a Kingfisher calling from the sailing club.
Mid afternoon found me "sales shopping" in Northampton and I took the opportunity of popping in to the Nene Barrage, an area that I don't visit very often.  I parked in a small carpark on the Bedford Rd, close to the large roundabout.   Obviously with all the rainfall the barrage is pretty full of water and there seemed to be plenty of birds present.  I didn't really do this place justice as I did not take my scope and didn't have time to walk far.  Nevertheless I saw at least 6 Goosander, a pair of Smew and a male Peregrine causing chaos with approx 200 Golen Plovers.
On arriving back at Hanging Houghton there were 2 Red Kites .

Regards Eleanor

No comments: