Sunday 9 August 2020

Weekend Wildlife

Yesterday [Saturday] I walked the same route as the previous day and saw a few of the same species but in a different place.  Blueberry was very quiet and I didn't see anything of note until I was in the area between Hanging Houghton and Cottesbrooke. Here there was a Northern Wheatear, 2 Whinchat, Common Redstart, 2 Spotted Flycatchers and a Cuckoo. There is a hedge which crosses the main track and it seems to act as a magnet for migrating birds at this time of year. Although today I couldn't find a single bird in this hedge, but that's birding, no two days are alike !
Today I managed very little birding. However this evening I found myself on a footpath leading from Beck Dairy Cottesbrooke. I actually didn't get very far across the first field before a large herd of cattle appeared from the corner of the field so I beat a hasty retreat with the dogs in tow. As I neared the car I could hear Spotted Flycatcher calling. With one eye on the advancing cattle I watched a family party of Spotted Flycatchers flitting about in the hedge and bushes. A Common Redstart flew through my field of view.
I ended up walking the dogs by the stream below Hanging Houghton and just as my spaniel was about to launch himself into his favourite swimming area I just caught a movement out of the corner of my eye.....an otter, which then slowly melted away.  I'd no sooner recovered from this when a couple of Kingfishers flew past and a Barn Owl started hunting in front of me.  Amazing end to the day and to the weekend.

Kenny and his team were busy ringing yesterday on the bund at Linford near Milton Keynes.
72 birds caught of which 62 were new and 12 species represented. 
Warblers dominated with 26 Reed Warbler, 10 Willow Warbler, 6 Blackcap, 6 Sedge Warbler , 6 Garden Warbler and 5 Chiffchaffs.
Star bird was a control Garden Warbler wearing a Spanish ring with the inscription Madrid Icona.
Non avian sightings included 5 Great Crested Newts, a Common Newt, 2 Toads and a Frog.

Regards Eleanor

No comments: