Wednesday 8 November 2023

Catch Up !!

 Time for a "catch up " now that our internet connection has been restored.  On Monday I was at Harrington Airfield early morning.  As I started walking I was aware of waves upon waves of Wood Pigeons flying over. Quite incredible really as I suspect that most of us don't pay much attention to these birds. Interestingly someone else was experiencing the same scenario at Desborough Airfield and estimated a 1000 birds moving between 07.00 and 09.00.                   The bushes at Harrington Airfield were busy as usual with huge numbers of Fieldfares/Redwings.                                                 Yesterday I enjoyed a lovely walk around Harlestone Firs. The Autumn colours were absolutely stunning and well worth the visit.  Birds were somewhat disappointing with only a handful of Siskins at the main entrance.                         Pitsford Reservoir was a bit of a magnet for folk yesterday,  myself included as the two fem/imm Red Breasted Mergansers were showing very well in the Pintail Bay.           Despite being out and about today I hadn't really seen very much until it was virtually dark.  I spent some time lingering around shrike hedge area just incase anything interesting turned up.  I was just making my way back to the car when I stood still and deliberated which way to walk back when a Short Eared Owl flew over my head from shrike hedge area and proceeded to hunt the grassy strip/area.  I  followed it down the  grassy strip until the light gave up. 

There have been a few good birds seen since the weekend.  2 Red Breasted Mergansers and 2 Whooper Swans at Stanwick GP,  Slavonian Grebe at Titchmarsh LNR,  Glossy Ibis at Irthlingborough Lakes and Meadows,  Merlin at Desborough Airfield and Stanford Reservoir and Crossbills at Wakerley Wood. 

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: