Friday 22 September 2023

On the move !

 It has been a very pleasant couple of days following the wet and windy weather earlier in the week. Although I had got a few commitments I made sure that I could get my "birding fix" which revolved around walking the dogs. It was a typical autumn morning when I set off early yesterday morning with the mist hanging over the valley.  On the stream below Lamport were 5 Little Egrets dabbling about in the water. On my walk up to Blueberry I could hear Meadow Pipits and Skylarks flying around but couldn't see them due to the mist which had cleared by the time I reached my destination.  The stables/small pond area has been quite productive this year and as I stood and watched the area a passerine appeared on the roof of the stable. I knew what it was before I confirmed it's identity with my binoculars,  a Black Redstart.   In the bushes around the pond was a Common Redstart.  Really good to see both these birds virtually side by side.   I couldn't loiter any longer as I wanted to check shrike hedge area on my way home. Again good numbers of Meadow Pipits and Skylarks plus 2 Northern Wheatears.                                                                            No further birding until I managed a visit to Harrington Airfield which yielded Common Redstart, Whinchat,  Northern Wheatear and Marsh Harrier. 

Today I started with the same circuit as yesterday and again it was a misty mirky morning. When I reached the stables/pond area at Blueberry there were birds everywhere!! I was literally tripping over Chiffchaffs,  they were in the bushes,  on the ground and hanging from weed stems. 20+ is a conservative estimate. It was quite spectacular and something I have witnessed on the Scillies but not on my local patch.  Other birds included 3 Common Redstarts,  6+ Blackcaps, 2 Grey Wagtails,  Northern Wheatear and a flock of at least 60 Swallows low over the fields. I had to drag myself away and headed to shrike hedge, where again there were birds everywhere.  The overgrown ditches were alive with tits, Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs all moving along the ditch, calling as they went. It was quite incredible.  Other birds here included 2 Northern Wheatears,  Whinchat and 8 Siskins over. Again a steady movement of Meadow Pipits,  Skylarks and Hirundines.                                                                                       The dogs were probably relieved when I left shrike hedge as they thought that we were heading home for breakfast.........wrong !! I couldn't resist a quick visit to Harrington Airfield.  Around the bunkers were Common Redstart,  Whinchat and Northern Wheatear.  Again lots of birds on the move with a constant passage of Meadow Pipits,  Skylarks and Swallows plus 2 Redpolls,  4+ Siskins  and 2 Golden Plovers. There was just a handful of Warblers, 4 Chiffchaffs and 2 Blackcaps in the bushes at the end of the track.                                                             It was quite an amazing morning watching these birds on the move knowing that this was part of their incredible migration journey and I just had a glimpse into their world.      Eventually we did head home for breakfast!!

Birds around in the county include a Hoopoe reported in Oundle but despite searching it could not be relocated.  A Black Necked Grebe has been on the Town Lake at Thrapston,  Pectoral Sandpiper at Stanwick GP,  Red Crested Pochards at Pitsford and Stanford Reservoirs. Whilst over at Hollowell Reservoir Stonechat,  Whinchat,  Pink Footed Goose, Ringed Plovers and Dunlin. 

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: