Monday 6 February 2023

Mad Monday!!

 It has been a bit of a mad Monday, running errands, walking dogs, topping up feeding stations and a bit of birding thrown in.  It was a lovely frosty start and I was out early as the moon was going to bed and the sun waking up.  Such a magical time to be out when everything is waking up.  Initially the only birds I had for company were Blackbirds but these were soon joined by Red Kites and Common Buzzards and by the time I had finished my walk there was quite a chorus starting up.

The big side of Pitsford Reservoir was devoid of birds. It was literally just a vast expanse of empty water. Even the small side was pretty empty of birds, no where near the numbers of wildfowl that you would expect to find. The only birds of note being a drake Smew,  Shelduck,  2 Stonechat and 2 Great White Egrets.                                                             Next stop was the wilderness area at Kelmarsh Hall to top up the feeding station.  Here I nearly trod on a Woodcock and there were 6 Siskins flying around. 

It was on my afternoon walk where the fun began!! I was enjoying a peaceful amble around the fields with my dogs when I realised that the Pytchley/Woodland Hunt were heading my way.  As I didn't really want to get tangled up with them due to having all my dogs with me including Smeagol the spaniel with his motility issues.  For a while I ended up being stationary and simply scanning the area. It was whilst doing this that I picked up a Marsh Harrier near Blueberry heading east in a very purposeful manner.   The Hunt went towards the Brampton Valley Way and headed off along the BVW towards Brixworth causing chaos as they did so. This was my opportunity to leg it back to my car and even Smeagol broke into a trot when he heard the Foxhounds baying.  Once back to the safety of the car the dogs took a breather and had a play in the stream.  I  took the opportunity to have another scan around, mainly to see where the Hunt were, but they were soon forgotten when the female Merlin put in another appearance and chased the Skylarks again.  This time she was unsuccessful but still fabulous to watch. 

Our garden has been busy again with birds now that the temperature has dropped.  Plenty of Blackbirds and even a Fieldfare returned today. We don't seem to be able to attract wintering Blackcaps which I know quite a few folk do throughout the county. We put plenty of apples out on the bushes which the Blue Tits love but very little else. 

A few birds reported in the county today. Ring Necked Duck and Scaup at Ravensthorpe Reservoir,  Red Crested Pochard at Stanford Reservoir,  Siberian Chiffchaff at Ecton and Jack Snipe at Hollowell Reservoir and below Brixworth in a reedbed area at Spratton Road.                                                                                                                                                           Again in the warm sunshine there are plenty of insects and both Peacock and Red Admiral butterflies on the wing.  Lots of new life in the gardens too with quite a few daffodils fully out in the sheltered areas.   Spring is on its way !

Regards Eleanor 




A male Blackcap visiting
an Abington garden, Northampton
 courtesy of John Gamble.


No comments: