Saturday 30 July 2022

Harrington Airfield, love it or hate it !!

 I always think that Harrington Airfield is a bit like "marmite" in that you either love it or hate it.   For me it is definitely the former, especially after the amazing week I have had there. This week has been quite exceptional for the time of year. 

Last week I was struggling to find any birds of note as is often the case with Harrington.  Then a couple of days ago I took the dogs for a walk around the rough area/bunkers mainly looking at butterflies.  I had literally bumped into a Common Redstart in the bushes between the chipping compound and bunker 1 but very little else.  By the time I reached bunker 3 one of the dogs was lagging behind so I was just standing still waiting for him when a Black Redstart started hopping about infront of me !!! It then just melted away as quickly as it came.  Earlier that morning I had bumped into a Northern Wheatear and had noticed that there seemed to be birds moving about.  Harrington is one of the best places I know to witness and feel visible migration. 

Yesterday afternoon I went back to Harrington with the dogs and spent over 2 hours simply meandering slowly through the bushes and sitting around the bunkers.  It is amazing how many birds will pop out when you are sitting still.  I had some close encounters with young Willow Warblers,  Whitethroats and Grey Partridge plus a couple of Clouded Yellow butterflies.  The Common Redstarts proved more of a challenge.  Despite calling well I had to work really hard to see them but finally managed to see 3 individual birds.

Today I was up early and arrived at Harrington Airfield just after 6am. I  took my 2 young collies as they love to mooch around and will sit patiently whilst I'm looking at the birds etc. The plan was to enjoy a nice peaceful walk before starting on the long list of jobs I had. I decided to park at the main entrance and walk a large circle so I headed off up the road towards the chipping compound checking the roadside bushes as I went.  Plenty of activity in the bushes,  Blackcaps,  Whitethroats and Linnets dominating.  I managed to locate 2 Common Redstart between the chipping compound and bunker 2.      In order to complete my circle I walked down to the main track where a short walk to the end of the track produced nothing of note I back tracked and walked towards the shooting wall where there was plenty of activity,  more Blackcap and Whitethroat and at least 4 Spotted Flycatchers which were actively flitting about.   It was evident that there were more birds about today. 

I  was on the final leg and thinking about my breakfast when I noticed quite a few birds hopping about on the track infront of me and  could hear the plink plink of Chaffinch.  There was quite a mixed flock of Chaffinch,  Greenfinch,  Goldfinch and Linnets.  I was just about to take a step forward when I noticed a movement low down on the vegetation at the side of the track. I  could not believe my eyes when I saw that it was a Pied Flycatcher!! My heart skipped a beat and I was just gobsmacked.  I  watched it for a  couple of minutes as I wanted to be 110% sure before putting the news out.   By this time it was after 8am and I knew that the track would be getting busy with dog walkers and bang on cue the first dog walker arrived closely followed by a  tractor.  My heart sank as the birds disappeared.  Once it went quiet again I  just walked very slowly up and down the track much to the amusement of my collies who decided that they would simply sit and wait rather than join me. Thankfully the birds started to come back onto the track and nearby bushes and I saw the Pied Fly again, phew.   Then a pesky Robin chased the Pied Fly around the bushes but another Pied Flycatcher popped out which was brighter than the original bird. I was astounded by this,  especially when they both perched momentarily together.   There was no one else around to watch these amazing birds.      I had now been at Harrington for 3 hours and was starting to feel light headed as I hadn't had my breakfast and the other 2 dogs at home needed walking so I had to drag myself away.   As I left more dog walkers were arriving  so the birds would get disturbed.  I'm not sure how long the birds stayed around for but Nick Parker and John +Lynn Hunt managed to catch up with them shortly after I left. 

After some welcome breakfast it was the turn of the other two dogs. I didn't really expect quite an exciting time with them,  but I did find at least 8 Spotted Flycatchers and a Common Redstart in an old hedgerow near Lamport hall.                        Late afternoon I took a walk to Blueberry and there were 2 or 3 Common Redstart in their favourite hedge just beyond Blueberry Farm heading towards the highest point and Haselbeech. 

I thought that I had had my fill of Flycatchers today but we had one in the garden this afternoon showing my youngsters how to do agility!!!!. I have a few pieces of agility equipment set up in the garden for the youngsters to practice on. When I looked out of the window I  saw a  Spotted Flycatcher sitting on the "contact " area of the seesaw and then it flew over to the weaves and flitted along the top of the weave poles !!! Perhaps I should be competing with this bird rather than my two collies,  might get a clear round then , ha ha.

Other birds around today include Pink Footed Goose at Ravensthorpe Reservoir,  Osprey at Hollowell Reservoir and  Wood Sandpiper,  Bittern and Marsh Harrier at Summer Leys.

I wonder what Harrington Airfield has in store tomorrow and the coming weeks?.......watch this space. 

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: