Wednesday 5 January 2022

Hen Harrier, Hawfinches and more

A lovely crisp frosty morning,  more in keeping with the time of year.  Whilst I sat drinking my coffee I pondered about the day ahead and realised that I had a free day without any commitments.  I have been promising myself a day in the " north" of the county so decided that today would be the day.     

 As I  didn't want to get caught up with the work/school traffic I went out for a run and it was a nice change to run around the crispy white fields rather than plough through the mud.  I bumped into a Barn Owl and Woodcock at Blueberry plus several Brambling below Hanging Houghton and at Draughton crossing. 

Time to head north and my first stop was Deene Lake which for its size attracts good numbers of common wildfowl. It is not always easy to see all of the lake but I managed to locate 4 Shelduck, a male Pintail and a pair of Stonechat.                                                          

My next planned stop was Blatherwycke Church but as I was driving near Bulwick en-route I noticed at least 30 Red Kites literally at eye level dropping into the field next to the road.  I slowed down and virtually came to a halt so that I could see what they were feeding on. I couldn't see anything obvious but assume that it was the wet soggy field making it easy to find food. Whilst I was having a nosey at the kites I picked up another raptor coming in from my left and soon realised that it was different,  it was in fact a superb male Hen Harrier who carried on his way and disappeared in the direction of Southwick/Oundle.  I  didn't really have time to pursue him and I know that there is some interesting habitats in the direction that he was heading.                                                            

When I eventually reached Blatherwycke Church there were quite a few birders around who had been watching one of the Hawfinches flitting about in a yew tree in the open area to the right of the church. This bird then moved into the church yard and eventually both Hawfinches were located in a yew tree and then a bare tree between the church and the lake. They looked stunning in the winter sunshine.  I'm always amazed by the number of birds which frequent this churchyard and today there were Redwings, Mistle Thrushes, tits, Green and Chaffinch to name but a few. Blatherwycke Lake also tends to attract a good variety and numbers of wildfowl. I counted 20 Mandarin Duck but no doubt missed quite a few hidden ones. Also present were 3 Egyptian Geese, a Black Swan, 3 Little Egrets, Water Rail and 30 Siskins.

Lunchtime was spent in the car park area of nearly Wakerley Wood. Previously the car park has been alive with birds but today it was eerily silent.  I spent over 2 hours walking around the wood and it was extremely quiet. Bizarrely the squirrels and deer were more vocal than the birds!!.  I bumped into Fallow Deer, Roe Deer and Muntjac and the bird total was an amazing 1 Crossbill, 2 Brambling,  20 Siskins and 3 Woodcock. 

I came home via the Welland Valley.  There was quite a flooded area near Harringworth which had attracted large numbers of  waders, Lapwings, 200 Golden Plovers, Redshank,2+ Dunlin and Common Gulls. The wet grassy fields near Gretton were covered with hundreds of Redwings and Fieldfares foraging and chatting away and a male Peregrine flew through causing a panic.      

A short visit to East Carlton CP proved to be extremely quiet which meant that I had time to stop off at Harrington Airfield at dusk.  It was a very productive stop and a good end to my day. As I walked along the rough area there were at least 50 Brambling in the bushes, I believe that 100 birds had been seen earlier.  I  stood around at the second bunker scanning and within 5minutes had viewed a Barn Owl hunting along the main track and a sight of a female Merlin hunting the Skylarks and Redwings feeding on the fields. 

Elsewhere and two Otters were watched on the River Welland in Market Harborough town centre today and the two Peregrines have been seen on the church there recently.

A ringing session took place at Kelmarsh Hall today resulting in 79 captures mostly of tits. Three were re-trapped Marsh Tits which show a very faithful site fidelity and two of them were first ringed there in autumn 2019. Other birds present included a pair of Ravens, a couple of Bramblings and a flock of about ten Siskins.

Other birds seen today include two drake Smew in the Scaldwell Bay at Pitsford Reservoir this afternoon, the Black Redstart remained at Borough Hill Country Park, and Stanwick Pits hosted five Cattle Egrets and three Great White Egrets.

Regards

Eleanor

Hawfinch.

Marsh Tit.

Red Kite.





No comments: