Tuesday 2 November 2021

Autumn Days

 Today was my only completely "free" day of the week so I took the opportunity to visit the north of the county.  After the recent spell of wet windy weather I was delighted when I woke up to a typical autumn morning with low lying mist over the fields and clear crisp air. Infact there had been a ground frost. Perfect conditions for running so accompanied by 3 of the dogs i went on a 10 mile run at Fineshade where it felt as if I had the whole wood to myself as I only met 2 people.  The autumn colours were amazing with a myriad of colours and textures, made even more stunning by the shafts of sunlight penetrating the trees. The birds were quite vocal especially the tit family who were moving through the trees in flocks.  There were several cronking Ravens and good numbers of Siskin throughout the wood. Despite visiting Fineshade on numerous occasions I discovered an area I hadn't been to before and found at least 8 Bramblings.                                                 Then I went on a 3 hour meander in Wakerley Wood which was disappointingly quiet.  Much smaller numbers of Siskin,  Brambling and tits in but when out in the open at the back of spanhoe Airfield there was a noticeable movement of Fieldfares, Redwings and Wood Pigeons. These birds were moving through in their hundreds. Also in this area plenty of raptors enjoying the sunshine and gentle breeze including female Peregrine,  Red Kites, Common Buzzards and Sparrowhawk.                                                                    Again the colours of the trees were stunning and it was just lovely to be out and about.  I even managed to see Fallow and Roe Deer.                                                                                       I intended to visit other nearby sites but when I returned to my car I discovered a problem which meant that I had to come home to  sort it out. 

The county seems to be going through another quiet spell with the long staying birds still present,  9 Cattle Egret at Kinewell roost, Pink Footed Goose at Hollowell Reservoir,  Black Necked Grebe on town lake Thrapston and a juvenile Osprey in the Summer Leys area.

Quite a few different species of butterfly have been recorded in the county over the last couple of days including Red Admiral,  Peacock, Brimstone,  Small Tortoiseshell,  Small White, Holly Blue, Comma and Painted Lady.  Wow pretty good for the time of year. 

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: