Saturday 31 October 2020

Wild and Windy

It has certainly been very wild and windy over the last week which has had a noticeable effect on the trees and hedgerows. So many leaves have fallen off which has the advantage of making it easier to see the birds especially the tit flocks. These are always worth checking through at this time of year as you never know what might be tagging along with them. I've only managed to see Chiffchaffs whereas some lucky person found a Firecrest in a tit flock at Byfield Pool today.

What I have noticed is Bramblings are appearing, only one or two birds at a time but it's a start. There have been a couple roosting behind the old cattleshed below Hanging Houghton and in the bushes at Harrington Airfield as well as odd birds flying over. There have been up to 4 Stonechat below Hanging Houghton and a pair at Harrington Airfield.      

Yesterday I visited Harrington Airfield late afternoon and there was a very vocal Barn Owl flying around. I had forgotten just how eerie their calls can be and they sent a shiver down my spine.

Whilst on holiday we stopped feeding the birds in the garden. About a week ago I filled all the feeders up and sprinkled some food out. But no birds came !! It was very strange to look out into the garden and not see a single bird and it just didn't seem right.Thankfully today they have started to return, I never thought that I would be glad to see the Starlings return, but I have missed their noisy chatter and funny antics. Hopefully things will be returning to normal in the garden which is more than can be said for our normal daily life as we face another lockdown. I'm sure that we will be avidly watching the birds in our gardens and as we get out to exercise during this next period of lockdown. Even the common birds will brighten our day and keep us going.

Regards Eleanor 


Starling.


No comments: