Wednesday 26 February 2020

Wintry Wednesday

It has been quite a wintry day today.  When I went out with the dogs early morning the grass was white and crisp with frost and there was a beautiful pink and grey sky as the sun rose.  A Barn Owl was out hunting against this backdrop and my young collie was completely mesmerized as it hunted a few feet above her head.
During the day there was a mixture of sunshine, wind, rain and snow flurries but late afternoon was definitely the best part of the day with sunshine and a gentle breeze, so I decided to take my two young collies for a good walk around Blueberry Farm area.  They loved it and I saw some good birds.
Just beyond Blueberry Farm on the track leading up to the highest point on the complex were 5 Waxwings sitting on top of the hedge. It's at times like this that I'm glad that the dogs are obedient as they sat down as soon as I asked them and didn't move which gave me time to get my binoculars onto them. I watched them for a couple of minutes before they gave their characteristic trill and flew off in the direction of Cottesbrooke.   Earlier in the day 3 Waxwings had been seen and photographed at nearby Harrington Airfield [not by me].
I always think that the view from the highest point at Blueberry is one of the best views in Northamptonshire. I never tire of pausing here for a few minutes and taking in the view.  I had the added bonus of a Short Eared Owl and 2 Barn Owls for company as they appeared and started hunting the field below me. A beautiful sight. As I returned to my car there was a Barn Owl hunting on the large grassy patch which I feel was a different bird to those hunting at Blueberry.
Other birds seen include Tree Sparrows, Grey Wagtail, 4 Grey Partridge, Woodcock and large numbers of winter thrushes in the hedgerows and feeding on the saturated fields.

Regards Eleanor

No comments: