Tuesday 12 February 2019

Birds of mid Feb

Hello

I'm just back from a birding trip in Jamaica where of course it was warm and humid. The weather here today seemed pleasant but a little cooler than I'm used to!

Eric paid a visit to Blatherwycke Lake today and notched up three Black Swans, ten pairs of Mandarin Ducks, a flotilla of thirty Little Grebes as well as the usual Red Kites. Nearby at Deene Lake there are still over a hundred Teal, a pair of Black Swans and four pairs of Shelduck.

I saw a Raven at Harrington Airfield this afternoon (but nothing else of note) and Eleanor saw the Great Grey Shrike distantly between Hanging Houghton and Cottesbrooke this morning plus a Barn Owl and a Corn Bunting. The regular Merlin chasing the small birds had been replaced by a Sparrowhawk today!

Both the wintering drake Ring-necked Ducks in the county were seen today, Alan Coles seeing the Pitsford Reservoir bird in the Pintail Bay and Mike Alibone finding the Nene Valley bird on Grendon Main Lake just off the clubhouse. Other bits and pieces seen today included eight Crossbills at Irchester Country Park (attracted to a puddle and larches between the main entrance and the playground), a Great White Egret at Summer Leys NR, two Oystercatchers already back at Stanwick Pits and a Peregrine over Balmoral Road, Kingsthorpe, Northampton.

Regards

Neil M

Oystercatcher.

Black Swans.

Crossbill.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish to visit Blatherwycke lake but have no idea of where to watxh from.Can you possibly give me some idea of where to start my walk from to see the Mandarins as I do not want to upset landowners etc etc Many thanks.This site is fantastic as I didnt know these ducks are so near to where I live in Corby