Tuesday 21 August 2018

An early morning meander around the fields below Hanging Houghton produced a Northern Wheatear, Common Redstart, 5 Grey Partridge and 4 Golden Plover flying around calling before finally settling on a recently scuffled field.  These are the first ones I have seen for months, another sign that Autumn is rapidly approaching which is my favourite time of year. I always find it an exciting time for birding as you just never know what you might find.  I had a little taster of this today.   Due to the hot weather my running has suffered so I was determined to go for a long run this morning.  As I went along the Brampton Valley Way between Lamport crossing and Draughton crossing I was literally stopped in my tracks by the sound of a singing Cettis Warbler . Initially I thought I was hearing things but I stopped and listened and it soon obliged by singing again and I managed a glimpse of the bird as it moved through the hedge. 
This afternoon I checked a hedgerow between the villages of Walgrave and Old as in recent years it has picked up Common Redstart on migration. This is the first time I have checked this hedge for a while and there were at least 4 Common Redstart flitting about along the hedgerow and landing on the fence posts and field. Whilst they were not very vocal they were shimmering and shaking their tails.  In the same hedge were 2 Spotted Flycatcher, several Blackcaps, Whitethroat and Willow Warbler.
I spent some time simply watching these birds as they moved along the hedgerow. It always amazes me how loyal birds remain to certain areas and year after year use the same hedgerows etc as they migrate.

Regards Eleanor 

No comments: