Friday 1 January 2016

New Year's Day

Hello

Eleanor's morning foray today produced a female Peregrine, a Barn Owl and a pair of Stonechat all at Blueberry Farm, Maidwell.

I tend to feed the garden birds early in the morning often before daylight and I have the outside power lights switched on. I usually toss some bread and other scraps on to the greenhouse/shed roof for the Jackdaws. My first bird of the year was a calling Redwing followed by three Tawny Owls calling distantly to each other. I then enjoyed an odd birding event when a fourth Tawny Owl flew from behind me and grabbed a piece of bread just as it landed on the roof! It then took it to the nearby silver birch tree and stared back at me before flying off! I can only imagine it thought that the piece of moving brown bread was a rodent, but certainly a curious experience!

A period of ringing at Kelmarsh Hall this morning produced only a modest number of birds, the highlights amongst the 51 captures included 7 Blackbirds, 3 Goldfinches, 3 Chaffinches and 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers. Other birds noted there included an adult male Peregrine flying over, a Raven, a Grey Wagtail and a few Siskins.

Regards

Neil M

No comments: