It has been a very quiet week. However I did manage to catch up with the Scaup at Sywell Reservoir and today with the Slavonian Grebe in front of the sailing club at Pitsford.
I have visited Cottesbrooke village every day with varying degrees of success with the Hawfinches. Yesterday [Friday] I saw 8 birds showing well, but earlier in the week I only saw 1 or 2 birds. Sometimes I could hear others calling as they were feeding out of sight.
A Barn Owl has been hunting the field margins again below Hanging Houghton and this evening there were 2 birds.
Harrington has been bleak and devoid of birds.
The garden has been busy with birds which is ironic as we have taken the feeders down and are giving the garden a break. A decision we made in response to the presence of sick and dying finches as they succumbed to Trichomoniasis. A horrible disease for them which is easily transmitted from bird to bird as they use the feeders or in close proximity to each other on the ground.
Hopefully the weather will remain mild so that the birds are not heavily reliant on the garden feeders to survive.
- Trip Reports Dec 2015
- Ringing - 27th Oct
- Birdwatching Site Maps 4th November
- Brazil 2012
- Images from Bob Bullock 14th June
- Robin's Wildlife Antics 31st May
- John Boland and his birds... 13th Feb
- Portugal 2013
- Presentations November 2016
- Ethiopia Nov 2013
- Useful Links 17th Oct
- Dave Jackson Images 4th March
- Clive Bowley Wildlife Images 10th June
- Robin's Wildlife Images 29th April
- Brazil revisited 27th October
- Images from John Tilly 2nd June