Tuesday 23 August 2016

More Autumn birds

As the weather forecast was for a very hot day I thought that I'd get out early with the dogs.  So round one with the gammy legged dogs was a short walk along the valley below Hanging Houghton.  There was a Little Egret fishing in the brook but it had competition in the form of 2 Kingfishers.  A Barn Owl was hunting and already the young Common Buzzards were extremely vocal.
Then it was time to swap dogs and take the youngsters out so I ran around Sywell Reservoir before everybody else had got up and before it became too hot.  There were 3 Common Sandpipers on the dam a Cettis Warbler and Water Rail calling from the back of the bay and a few Siskin flying 
I always find Sywell full of surprises and this morning was no exception as an Osprey came in and started to fish. However it made a right "pigs ear" of fishing and left with nothing, heading off over the dam in the direction of Wellingborough.
I didn't venture out again until late afternoon/early evening and visited Blueberry area.  At 17.00hrs I watched a cream crowned Marsh Harrier quartering the rough fields before it headed off across the crop fields towards Cottesbrooke.  I had actually taken my camera with me but only managed some record shots.  Other birds included a Redstart, 2+ Whinchat, Hobby and Ravens.
I think that there are significantly less butterflies about this year probably due to the long cold spring, but I did see 2 Clouded Yellows this afternoon, no doubt helped here by the southerly winds.
Again a very autumnal feel to the day with mist hanging in the valley this morning and an stunning sunset over the harvested fields this evening.   My favourite time of the year.

Regards Eleanor

No comments: